Single Mom Robin Allen Turns to a Grant Program to Afford Her First Accessible Vehicle.
Robin Allen is a single mother to her son, Kyle. They live in North Carolina and by all accounts lead a fairly normal life - except Robin and Kyle were constantly in pain.
Kyle was diagnosed with Aicardi-Goutiéres syndrome a few years ago, and aside from affecting many areas of his body’s development, it also makes him totally reliant on his mother for all of his needs. These things are simple in tasks around the home. Kyle can remain in his wheelchair for these, which keeps him comfortable during the day. But so often Robin and Kyle were prisoners in their home because lifting Kyle out of his wheelchair, putting him in a car seat, breaking down the wheelchair to put it in the trunk of their SUV, and repeating the process when they reached their destination caused constant pain, not just for Robin, but also for Kyle.
Robin knew a wheelchair accessible vehicle was the solution, but the price tag associated with it was large. She had a large part of the funding saved, but in order to make the final purchase, she needed a little financial boost. Robin and Kyle approached NOVA to secure a grant, which allowed them to get a BraunAbility van that would completely change their lives.
Now, Robin and Kyle live virtually pain-free. Because Kyle can travel from the safety of his wheelchair, he’s able to travel with the support he needs and Robin’s back is saved from lifting her growing son multiple times a day.
Watch the incredible van delivery here.
Other Owner Stories:
- Barbara's New Rampvan: Taking Delivery
- 309,000 Miles of Reliability
- Christmas for a Hurting Family - A Wheelchair Van
- Wheelchair Van Reliability Gets a Real World Test
- Wheelchair Marathoning: 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 weeks
- Wheelchair Van Donation Changes Kentucky Family's Lives
- A Rampvan for a Pharmacist and Her Service Dogs
- "Praise the Lowered?" Absolutely!
- Wheelchair Van Funding: Patience and Persistence Pay Off
- Paralyzed Coach Receives Wheelchair Van at Halftime
- Life Happens Together, Just Ask Lauren Gross
- Lacrosse Team Scores Big for a Deserving Family
- In the Company of Saints
- Restoring Freedom For Loyal BraunAbility Customer
- Family with Three Wheelchair Users Gets First Accessible Van
- Driving Freedom For a BraunAbility Customer
- First Entervan XT Owner is eXTra happy!
- Bravo for Brian and his Spirit of Ability
- Braun's Favorite Newlywed Shares Spinal Rehab Experience
- Active Quad Embraces Life
- Antonio Dowels, Local Hero, Receives His Van
- Josh Fugate's Owner Story
- Adam Gorlitsky
- Wheelchair Accessible Van is the Answer to Grandparents' Prayers
- Wheelchair Vans: Five and Counting!
- Zach Anner
- Young Customer Gives BraunAbility an A+ Grade
- Sam Schmidt: Mobility Visionary and Real-Life Superman
- Sam Schmidt to Help Unveil New Hand and Foot-Free Corvette
- Reveca Torres
- Third Spirit of Ability Recipient Honored in Toronto
- Tom Turner's More Than 30 Years of Friendship
- Spirit of Ability Winner Triumphs over SCI
- The Truth About Living with a Rare Disease
- Travis Roy
- Fishing and Wheelchair Vans
- Robin Allen
- Rachelle Chapman
- My Road to Driving Independence
- Mother With a Disability Finds Hope in Two Disabled Sons
- Meet Spirit of Ability Award Winner Barry Munro
- Neural Prosthetics Got Her On Her Feet Again
- Mike Delancey
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 2
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 1