What Is a Conversion Van?
BraunAbility Engineers an Accessible Design on the Most Popular Vehicle Chassis.
A conversion van is the name given to a specially engineered adaptation of a vehicle to make it accessible for wheelchair users. While that may sound simple enough, converting a vehicle safely is an intensive, complex process and not all van conversion companies build their products to the same standards of quality and safety. Keep reading to learn more about the vehicle conversion process and how to ensure you’re placing your trust with a manufacturer with a proven history of quality and safety mobility products.
How is a Conversion Van Built?
At BraunAbility, every vehicle conversion is built using an assembly line method, designed to ensure quality for a best-in-class ownership experience for every customer. So how does a traditional vehicle become a BraunAbility accessible vehicle?
- The first step is to remove the existing seating from the vehicle, as well as the interior panels. Any exposed surfaces are completely covered for protection from scrapes and heat during the conversion process.
- Once the seats are removed, the vehicle’s floor is lowered and custom interior paneling is installed for a seamless blend between the chassis and conversion.
- A high-strength ramp is installed, either in the rear or the passenger slide door area. These ramps are available as either a foldout or
inflooroption on most models of vehicle.
- The rear bench seat is reinstalled, and in most models of conversion vehicle, the driver and front passenger seats are mounted on raised platforms. Both seats are easily removable by the vehicle owner, allowing for floor plan flexibility from one ride to another.
- To disguise the lowered floor extension on the exterior of the vehicle, custom-molded ground effect panels are added to both the driver and passenger sides, integrating the design.
- No matter what conversion van you select (Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Toyota or Honda), your best-in-class BraunAbility product is manufactured to uncompromised standards to deliver the best customer experience in the industry.
What is a conversion van?
In a 2016 survey of mobility service technicians, BraunAbility was voted Most Trusted Brand in Mobility and the brand they were most likely to recommend to friends and family. Why? Because service technicians know conversion vans from the inside out, and they see firsthand that not all van conversions are built with a priority on quality and safety. When it comes to reliability, you deserve the best.
Straight Talk About Wheelchair Vans
This video series takes an honest, under-the-hood look at what sets BraunAbility products apart from other van conversions.