ESPN's Story "Picking Up Butch" Gets National Media Attention
BraunAbility Plays a Role in ESPN Story
This week ESPN aired a story called "Picking Up Butch" about Middlebury College athletes who have "picked up" a local man named Butch and taken him to every home football and basketball game . . . for the past 50 years.
Richard "Butch" Varno, who has Cerebral Palsy and very limited mobility, lives for these games. He loves the players, the school, the atmosphere. But perhaps more importantly, everyone else loves Butch -- his energy, his enthusiasm and especially his heart. Through him, over five decades of students have experienced the satisfaction of being a part of something greater than themselves. They've also learned how something as inexpensive as time can add so much significance in someone else's life.
While Butch previously had to be picked up by the athletes and transferred into a car, today he uses an accessible vehicle with a Braun Millennium Series lift. The story is a terrific example of just how essential accessibility and independence can be for someone living with a disability. He's probably been one of the most inspiring people to cross the lives of many of the students and faculty members at Middlebury College. He's a legend already, but hopefully his legend will build as those who have been influenced by him return that same compassion to someone else down the road.
As you can see, it's as much a story about "picking up" Butch for the games as it is about how Butch and his friends "pick up" one another emotionally. It's nice to know that BraunAbility wheelchair lifts play a small role in this story, and we hope our mobility products and wheelchair vans do the same for customers across the country and around the world.
Other Owner Stories:
- The Early History of BraunAbility
- BraunAbility Helps A Teacher Return to Class
- Adventurous Customer Defies Their Handicap
- Ben Trockman
- BraunAbility Customer Wins All-Star Award
- Respect Blue Spaces Winner Gives Camp Attitude a Boost
- Convenience Makes a Comeback
- ESPN's Story "Picking Up Butch" Gets National Media Attention
- "Freedom" by Scott Drotar
- Indiana Family Proud Owners of a Honda Entervan
- Head Coach of Team USA Wheelchair Rugby Team Trusts BraunAbility
- Jesse Billauer
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 1
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 2
- Mike Delancey
- Neural Prosthetics Got Her On Her Feet Again
- Meet Spirit of Ability Award Winner Barry Munro
- Mother With a Disability Finds Hope in Two Disabled Sons
- My Road to Driving Independence
- Rachelle Chapman
- Robin Allen
- Fishing and Wheelchair Vans
- Travis Roy
- The Truth About Living with a Rare Disease
- Spirit of Ability Winner Triumphs over SCI
- Tom Turner's More Than 30 Years of Friendship
- Third Spirit of Ability Recipient Honored in Toronto
- Reveca Torres
- Sam Schmidt to Help Unveil New Hand and Foot-Free Corvette
- Sam Schmidt: Mobility Visionary and Real-Life Superman
- Young Customer Gives BraunAbility an A+ Grade
- Zach Anner
- Wheelchair Vans: Five and Counting!
- Wheelchair Accessible Van is the Answer to Grandparents' Prayers
- Adam Gorlitsky
- Josh Fugate's Owner Story
- Antonio Dowels, Local Hero, Receives His Van
- First Entervan XT Owner is eXTra happy!
- Lacrosse Team Scores Big for a Deserving Family
- Life Happens Together, Just Ask Lauren Gross
- Paralyzed Coach Receives Wheelchair Van at Halftime
- Wheelchair Van Funding: Patience and Persistence Pay Off
- "Praise the Lowered?" Absolutely!
- A Rampvan for a Pharmacist and Her Service Dogs
- Wheelchair Marathoning: 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 weeks