"Praise the Lowered?" Absolutely!
At BraunAbility, we've always held the theory that our customers are just a little more innovative and intelligent than your average consumer. That theory was proven when Rod Siebert of Siebert Mobility in Iowa City passed along this photo of a loyal customer's lowered floor minivan with the phrase "Praise the Lowered" spelled out above the license plate.
Needless to say, we thought the play on words was pretty clever, and to be honest, we were a little bummed we hadn't thought of it ourselves! We knew we had to get in touch with the customer who came up with the phrase.
Those customers were Ruth Egland and Rita Noe of Keokuk, Iowa. Ruth has been a paraplegic since she was 23 years old when a car she was working beneath fell on top of her. That accident happened in 1963, and it wasn't until 1995 that she bought her first BraunAbility wheelchair van. As the back of her van suggests, she's been hooked ever since.
Ruth doesn't actually take credit for the phrase. She and Rita saw "Praise the Lowered" on the back of a "low-rider" pick-up truck while on vacation in the Southwest (not only are our customers clever, but they're humble too!). They thought it was a fitting slogan for the wheelchair van that has helped Ruth navigate along her career paths as a middle school teacher and guidance counselor for 23 years, a counselor at a mental institution, and most recently, working with Rita at their graphic design business.
Today she is a retiree, which she describes as "the best job I've never had." Now that she's retired, she has a "bucket list" of activities to start crossing off-the the last one was a hot-air balloon ride across the Iowa countryside!
It's always a pleasure to talk with loyal customers like Ruth-especially when they have such a great sense of humor. If you have a customer story to share with us, please leave a comment below! We'd love to get to know some more funny and clever customers like Ruth-we know you're out there!
Other Owner Stories:
- "Freedom" by Scott Drotar
- "Praise the Lowered?" Absolutely!
- 309,000 Miles of Reliability
- Active Quad Embraces Life
- Adam Gorlitsky
- Adventurous Customer Defies Their Handicap
- Antonio Dowels, Local Hero, Receives His Van
- A Rampvan for a Pharmacist and Her Service Dogs
- Barbara's New Rampvan: Taking Delivery
- Ben Trockman
- Braun's Favorite Newlywed Shares Spinal Rehab Experience
- BraunAbility Customer Wins All-Star Award
- BraunAbility Helps A Teacher Return to Class
- Bravo for Brian and his Spirit of Ability
- Christmas for a Hurting Family - A Wheelchair Van
- Convenience Makes a Comeback
- Driving Freedom For a BraunAbility Customer
- ESPN's Story "Picking Up Butch" Gets National Media Attention
- Family with Three Wheelchair Users Gets First Accessible Van
- First Entervan XT Owner is eXTra happy!
- Fishing and Wheelchair Vans
- Head Coach of Team USA Wheelchair Rugby Team Trusts BraunAbility
- Home On the Range and In a Tri-Wheeler
- Indiana Family Proud Owners of a Honda Entervan
- In the Company of Saints
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 1
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 2
- Jesse Billauer
- Josh Fugate's Owner Story
- Lacrosse Team Scores Big for a Deserving Family
- Life Happens Together, Just Ask Lauren Gross
- Meet Spirit of Ability Award Winner Barry Munro
- Mike Delancey
- Mother With a Disability Finds Hope in Two Disabled Sons
- My Road to Driving Independence
- Neural Prosthetics Got Her On Her Feet Again
- Paralyzed Coach Receives Wheelchair Van at Halftime
- Rachelle Chapman
- Respect Blue Spaces Winner Gives Camp Attitude a Boost
- Restoring Freedom For Loyal BraunAbility Customer
- Reveca Torres
- Robin Allen
- Sam Schmidt: Mobility Visionary and Real-Life Superman
- Sam Schmidt to Help Unveil New Hand and Foot-Free Corvette
- Spirit of Ability Winner Triumphs over SCI