A Rampvan for a Pharmacist and Her Service Dogs
For several years, Valarie Franklin, 32, worked as a "floater", a pharmacist who traveled all over the state filling in where needed in Walgreens across Michigan. While she enjoyed the travel, it wasn't always easy due to her breakdown-prone vehicle.
These days are different. She now has a permanent position as a pharmacist in Flint, Michigan, and even better - she's the proud owner of a brand new BraunAbility wheelchair van. This purchase was a major step for Valarie.
"I was so excited to get it! I told Jeanette to find whatever was easiest," she said. "But she wouldn't let me do that. She worked really hard to make sure I was getting exactly what I wanted."
Jeanette, a mobility consultant at Mobility Works in Madison Heights, asked all the right questions to make sure she could locate what Valarie wanted.
"She's a young woman with an independent life and career -- she shouldn't have to settle!" said Jeanette.
What Valarie wanted was a black BraunAbility Toyota wheelchair van equipped with a driving system and plenty of room for her two beautiful service dogs. That's exactly what Jeanette found. Now life is easier, not only for Valarie, but for Ryver and Sunny (her canine sidekicks) too. The dogs accompany her to work, on errands, and on trips to visit friends and family.
Valarie has Brittle Bone Disease and is only three feet tall, so many of her challenges are height related. Her service dogs help by retrieving dropped items, opening doors, getting attention from other people if Valarie needs help, and more. The ramp is especially helpful for Sunny, who is now 11 years old.
Sunny doesn't get around well and it is wonderful to have the wheelchair van because it is so low to the ground, he can step right in.
Congrats to Valarie, thanks to Jeanette, and Ryver and Sunny...hope you're enjoying your new ride as much as your owner is!
Other Owner Stories:
- Zach Anner
- Adam Gorlitsky
- Mike Delancey
- Jesse Billauer
- Rachelle Chapman
- Reveca Torres
- Robin Allen
- Travis Roy
- Ben Trockman
- Young Customer Gives BraunAbility an A+ Grade
- Wheelchair Vans: Five and Counting!
- Wheelchair Van Reliability Gets a Real World Test
- Wheelchair Marathoning: 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 weeks
- Wheelchair Van Donation Changes Kentucky Family's Lives
- Wheelchair Accessible Van is the Answer to Grandparents' Prayers
- Fishing and Wheelchair Vans
- The Truth About Living with a Rare Disease
- Tom Turner's More Than 30 Years of Friendship
- Third Spirit of Ability Recipient Honored in Toronto
- Spirit of Ability Winner Triumphs over SCI
- Sam Schmidt to Help Unveil New Hand and Foot-Free Corvette
- Sam Schmidt: Mobility Visionary and Real-Life Superman
- A Rampvan for a Pharmacist and Her Service Dogs
- "Praise the Lowered?" Absolutely!
- Wheelchair Van Funding: Patience and Persistence Pay Off
- Paralyzed Coach Receives Wheelchair Van at Halftime
- Barbara's New Rampvan: Taking Delivery
- Neural Prosthetics Got Her On Her Feet Again
- My Road to Driving Independence
- Mother With a Disability Finds Hope in Two Disabled Sons
- Meet Spirit of Ability Award Winner Barry Munro
- Life Happens Together, Just Ask Lauren Gross
- Lacrosse Team Scores Big for a Deserving Family
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 2
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 1
- Indiana Family Proud Owners of a Honda Entervan
- In the Company of Saints
- Home On the Range and In a Tri-Wheeler
- Head Coach of Team USA Wheelchair Rugby Team Trusts BraunAbility
- "Freedom" by Scott Drotar
- Restoring Freedom For Loyal BraunAbility Customer
- First Entervan XT Owner is eXTra happy!
- Family with Three Wheelchair Users Gets First Accessible Van
- ESPN's Story "Picking Up Butch" Gets National Media Attention
- Driving Freedom For a BraunAbility Customer