In the Company of Saints
Last December, the Mayeaux family's wheelchair accessible van sputtered out of life for the final time in the driveway. The once great asset of mobility was reduced to a pile of resting steel. Melissa Mayeaux, however, only saw her daughter's need for mobility.
Lauran was born with arthrogyposis, a rare disorder that means she was born without skeletal muscles below the neck. The 13-year-old honor student and her family used that van for everything. Lauran and her mother got to work raising funds to put a down payment on a new vehicle as soon as possible.
Their efforts caught the attention of Fox 8 local news, who picked up their story and shared it on their evening broadcast. The news station owner was watching their story that evening. That man was Tom Benson, who just so happened to be the owner of the New Orleans Saints football team and New Orleans Pelicans basketball team.
After hearing their story, Tom and his wife, Gayle, knew they wanted to help out the family in any way they could. That notion led the Mayeaux family to the New Orleans Saints training facility on Thursday, March 12. The family thought they were there to tour the facility in addition to Melissa being interviewed as a strong mother in the community.
That was only the surface of the events that the day would hold.
Tom Benson worked with Crescent Vans (now Superior Van & Mobility), a BraunAbility dealer, to secure the family a brand new BraunAbility vehicle. During the Mayeaux's tour, the Bensons surprised the family and presented Lauran with the key to the vehicle.
"It's fabulous," Lauran said. "It smells really good, too. I love it so much."
The Mayeaux family was currently using a free rental van, courtesy of Crescent Vans.
Melissa and her husband had raised several thousand dollars to put toward a down payment on a new vehicle. They now plan to use that money to install a wheelchair accessible bathroom in their home.
Lauran was all smiles that day after meeting a pair of New Orleans Saints who looked nothing like football players.
"We wanted to help out. And that's what happened," Tom Benson said. "You can see how great it is, too. What a wonderful thing for a wonderful young lady. Glad to be a part of it."
To see local news coverage of the event, you can follow these links to the Fox 8 story and the New Orleans Saints coverage of the event.
Other Owner Stories:
- "Freedom" by Scott Drotar
- "Praise the Lowered?" Absolutely!
- 309,000 Miles of Reliability
- Active Quad Embraces Life
- Adam Gorlitsky
- Adventurous Customer Defies Their Handicap
- Antonio Dowels, Local Hero, Receives His Van
- A Rampvan for a Pharmacist and Her Service Dogs
- Barbara's New Rampvan: Taking Delivery
- Ben Trockman
- Braun's Favorite Newlywed Shares Spinal Rehab Experience
- BraunAbility Customer Wins All-Star Award
- BraunAbility Helps A Teacher Return to Class
- Bravo for Brian and his Spirit of Ability
- Christmas for a Hurting Family - A Wheelchair Van
- Convenience Makes a Comeback
- Driving Freedom For a BraunAbility Customer
- ESPN's Story "Picking Up Butch" Gets National Media Attention
- Family with Three Wheelchair Users Gets First Accessible Van
- First Entervan XT Owner is eXTra happy!
- Fishing and Wheelchair Vans
- Head Coach of Team USA Wheelchair Rugby Team Trusts BraunAbility
- Home On the Range and In a Tri-Wheeler
- Indiana Family Proud Owners of a Honda Entervan
- In the Company of Saints
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 1
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 2
- Jesse Billauer
- Josh Fugate's Owner Story
- Lacrosse Team Scores Big for a Deserving Family
- Life Happens Together, Just Ask Lauren Gross
- Meet Spirit of Ability Award Winner Barry Munro
- Mike Delancey
- Mother With a Disability Finds Hope in Two Disabled Sons
- My Road to Driving Independence
- Neural Prosthetics Got Her On Her Feet Again
- Paralyzed Coach Receives Wheelchair Van at Halftime
- Rachelle Chapman
- Respect Blue Spaces Winner Gives Camp Attitude a Boost
- Restoring Freedom For Loyal BraunAbility Customer
- Reveca Torres
- Robin Allen
- Sam Schmidt: Mobility Visionary and Real-Life Superman
- Sam Schmidt to Help Unveil New Hand and Foot-Free Corvette
- Spirit of Ability Winner Triumphs over SCI