Antonio Dowels, Local Hero, Receives His Van
NMEDA, the National Medical Equipment Dealers Association, historically hosted its National Mobility Awareness Month Local Heroes contest each May. The winners, selected by vote from the public, received a wheelchair-accessible vehicle of their own, free-of-charge. On Monday, Feb. 16, 2014, one of the years' winners had his life changed forever
Antonio Dowels was a law student in Miami, FL. The former athlete was in a car accident during high school that left him a quadriplegic. Through hard work and a tireless will, Antonio worked dilegently in his therapy and regained the use of his arms. He didn't stop there, pushing on through college and into law school.
Antonio worked with Ride-Away in Tampa (now MobilityWorks) on getting his vehicle. The team there helped make the van a perfect fit for Antonio, who planned to use the vehicle to visit the family that lives five hours away from him when he is at school.
"We deliver freedom," said Jim Scruggs, then general manager of Ride-Away Handicap Equipment Corporation. "We in a lot of cases are giving back their legs and arms, and in a lot of cases if we don't adapt the equipment, they are stuck at home."
The Dowels family came with Antonio to receive the van and award with him. Local news was there as well to capture the culmination of Antonio's story. He had been on the same station during the contest's voting period. He credits his victory in part to the news station.
"I want to thank you, Linda, for putting my story out there on ABC Action News, everyone who heard about me and who voted, who reached out through you guys and helped me out financially," he said. "I just want to thank you, guys."
Other Owner Stories:
- The Early History of BraunAbility
- BraunAbility Helps A Teacher Return to Class
- Adventurous Customer Defies Their Handicap
- Ben Trockman
- BraunAbility Customer Wins All-Star Award
- Respect Blue Spaces Winner Gives Camp Attitude a Boost
- Convenience Makes a Comeback
- ESPN's Story "Picking Up Butch" Gets National Media Attention
- "Freedom" by Scott Drotar
- Indiana Family Proud Owners of a Honda Entervan
- Head Coach of Team USA Wheelchair Rugby Team Trusts BraunAbility
- Home On the Range and In a Tri-Wheeler
- Jesse Billauer
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 1
- Jason Gerling, The Wheelchair Drummer: Part 2
- Mike Delancey
- Neural Prosthetics Got Her On Her Feet Again
- Meet Spirit of Ability Award Winner Barry Munro
- Mother With a Disability Finds Hope in Two Disabled Sons
- My Road to Driving Independence
- Rachelle Chapman
- Robin Allen
- Fishing and Wheelchair Vans
- Travis Roy
- The Truth About Living with a Rare Disease
- Spirit of Ability Winner Triumphs over SCI
- Tom Turner's More Than 30 Years of Friendship
- Third Spirit of Ability Recipient Honored in Toronto
- Reveca Torres
- Sam Schmidt to Help Unveil New Hand and Foot-Free Corvette
- Sam Schmidt: Mobility Visionary and Real-Life Superman
- Young Customer Gives BraunAbility an A+ Grade
- Zach Anner
- Wheelchair Vans: Five and Counting!
- Wheelchair Accessible Van is the Answer to Grandparents' Prayers