How To Choose a Wheelchair Van - Five Questions to Ask
Considering the purchase of a wheelchair van is a major purchase and it's important that you take your time and consult the experts. Edmunds.com asked Former BraunAbility President Nick Gutwein and other industry leaders their advice to customers on how to choose a wheelchair van. As the automotive publication understands, it's not a decision that can be made in a rush, especially if you're a first-time buyer:
Picking the right type of vehicle for your disability and lifestyle is important. It's a decision that could have far-reaching effects on your health and your finances, and as such, it shouldn't depend exclusively on your feelings regarding a vehicle's image or appearance. For mobility-challenged drivers, function trumps form by a very wide margin.
5 Questions to Ask When Choosing A Wheelchair Van
1. How severe are your mobility challenges?
The extent of your mobility challenges will play a major role in determining which vehicle type is the best match for your needs.
2. How important are practicality and convenience?
Wheelchair accessible vehicles offer superior practicality and convenience since they typically don't require drivers to hoist themselves from wheelchairs to car seats and instead can secure a wheelchair in a driver or passenger position.
3. Are you shopping for both current and future needs?
Today you may have the mobility to easily transfer to a sedan or SUV, but that may not be the case two or three years from now. Be sure that you have an eye to the future when you purchase your wheelchair accessible vehicle.
4. What's the weather like where you live?
Wheelchair accessible vehicles offer an advantage over other vehicle types for those who regularly face inclimate weather since they don't require the driver to get out of or stow the wheelchair.
5. Have you received help from a certified mobility consultant?
You can find the answers to these questions, as well as some other key points you may not have thought of yet, at this link: How To Choose a Wheelchair Van. If you're one of the millions of drivers who rely on wheelchairs for mobility, you'll appreciate this article as much as we did.
Other Mobility Solutions Articles:
- Winter Driving and Your Wheelchair Van
- Wheelchair Car Ramp Types
- Wheelchair Van and Wheelchair Lift Q & A on ParentGiving.com
- Wheelchair Motorcycle and Handicap Motorcycle Add-ons
- Wheelchair Lift Innovation: BraunAbility® Under-Vehicle Lift
- Buying From a Dealer vs. Buying Online
- Buying Your First Wheelchair Van
- 3 Things You Should Know When You Rent a Wheelchair Van
- Top 10 Considerations When Buying An Accessible Vehicle
- Side Entry vs. Rear Entry Handicap Vans: Which is Right For Me?
- Should I Buy From a Mobility Dealer or Online?
- Swivel Seats for Cars
- Searching for handicapped vans
- Pros and Cons of the BraunAbility NV200 Wheelchair Accessible Taxi
- NYC's Taxi of Tomorrow