What Is a Conversion Van?
A conversion van is a specially engineered adaptation of a vehicle to make it accessible for wheelchair users. While that may sound simple, converting a vehicle safely is a very intensive process, and not all van conversions are built to the same standards of quality and safety. Keep reading to learn more about the van conversion process and how to ensure you’re putting your trust in the right manufacturer.
How Is a Conversion Van Built?
At BraunAbility, every van conversion is built on our unparalleled assembly line designed to ensure quality and a best-in-class ownership experience for every customer. The best way to understand the BraunAbility van conversion process is to watch this video, but the sequence below provides a condensed overview.
- 1. The first step is to remove the existing seating from the vehicle, as well as the interior panels. Any exposed surfaces are covered for protection during the conversion process.
- 2. Once the seats are removed, the vehicle’s floor is lowered and custom interior paneling is installed for a seamless blend between the chassis and conversion.
- 3. A high-strength ramp is installed, either in the rear or the passenger side. These ramps are available as either a foldout or infloor option.
- 4. The rear bench seat is reinstalled, and the driver and front passenger seats are mounted on raised platforms. Both seats are removable, allowing for floor plan flexibility.
- 5. To disguise the lowered floor extension on the exterior of the vehicle, custom-molded ground effect panels are added to both the driver and passenger sides.
- 6. No matter what conversion van you select (Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Toyota or Honda), the best-in-class BraunAbility product is manufactured to uncompromised standards to deliver the best customer experience in the industry.
What Makes a BraunAbility Conversion Van Best?
In a 2016 survey of mobility service technicians, BraunAbility was voted Most Trusted Brand in Mobility and the brand they were most likely to recommend to friends and family. Why? Because service technicians know conversion vans from the inside out, and they see firsthand that not all van conversions are built equally. When it comes to reliability and safety, you deserve the best. This video series takes an under-the-hood look at what sets BraunAbility apart from other van conversions.