What Is Mobility Work And What Is It For?
The CDC states that 1 out of every 4 adults in the U.S. is living with a disability that severely impacts their everyday life. Less than half of all U.S. adults with disabilities engage in aerobic physical exercise.
Exercise is vital for improving quality of life. It is also crucial to strengthen muscles to reduce the risk of injury from falls. But basic muscle strengthening is sometimes not enough.
It is important to focus on mobility work as well. In this post, we will talk about mobility work and what it is for. Keep reading to learn more about how mobility work can help you.
What Is Mobility Work and What Is It For?
What is mobility? Mobility pertains to how freely and smoothly your muscle moves within the joint. Mobility work is any targeted exercise you can do to improve the ease of how your joints move.
Mobility work focuses on the range of motion within your joints. It is often confused with flexibility. Flexibility is lengthening your muscles or holding a stretch.
Mobility work relies on dynamic stretching, or stretching while moving, which is more beneficial than static stretching.
With regular use, these mobility exercises can increase your overall mobility and help you control the muscles around the joints. When you are able to move better, you can increase your strength as well.
This is vital for improving the range of motion and mobility in those who are at risk for falling or have other impairments that may prevent them from getting adequate exercise.
What Is the Goal of Mobility Work?
The ultimate goal of mobility work is to increase the range of motion and restore function to weakened joints. This, in turn, promotes better flexibility.
When mobility and flexibility are in line with one another, this can lead to better stability. Furthermore, it can aid in the ability to perform everyday tasks, such as putting on shoes or reaching up into cabinets.
Of course, any exercise program should be discussed with a medical provider first and adapted to your individual needs to prevent any chance of strain or injury.
Is Mobility Work Effective?
When done correctly, mobility work can prevent injury from improper workouts and daily activities or lack of exercise.
In as little as 5 minutes per day, mobility work can be effective enough to increase muscle strength and enhance range of motion along with mobility.
Mobility Works Experts
Mobility work can be an effective tool for assisting and enhancing your range of motion. Losing your mobility is difficult and can feel like a loss of freedom.
That's where BraunAbility can help you or a loved one struggling with mobility issues. We specialize in accessible wheelchair van conversions. We also have the largest network of Mobility Works dealerships.
If you are looking for a wheelchair-accessible van, we're here to guide you through the process of finding the right vehicle for your needs.
BraunAbility is here for all your mobility needs and to help make mobility work for you. Contact Us today to get started.
Other frequently asked mobility works questions
What does mobility work mean?
- Mobility work designates exercises that will increase your range-of-motion and your stabilization, or control of the muscles that surround each joint.
What is the goal of mobility work?
- Mobility work exercises help improve joint flexibility and function so you can move better. If you are able to move better you are able to perform better.
- 10 Ways to Make a Handicap Accessible Home
- 3 Accessible American History Vacations
- 3 Reasons Modular Wheelchair Ramps Are the Right Choice For Anyone
- 3 Tips to Handicap Parking
- 3 Vacation Goals to Achieve With Your Handicap Van
- 5 Ideas for Observing MS Month
- 5 Reasons to Celebrate Physical Therapy
- 5 Reasons to Have a Family Game Night With Special Needs Children
- 5 Reasons Why Wheelchair Marathons are Fun and Important
- 5 Things to Look For in a Wheelchair for Handicapped People