Used Vans for Disabled Persons: Will Medicare Pay It?
The number of people who have enrolled for Medicare has almost doubled in the past decade. So, if you're one of the many people who benefit from this coverage, you might be wondering whether Medicare covers the purchasing of used vans for disabled individuals.
If so, you're in the right place. Continue reading to find out precisely that!
Who Does Medicare Cover?
This federal health insurance program is in place to support:
- Those over 65.
- Young people with disabilities.
- Those with End-Stage Renal Disease.
So, Medicare covers a vast segment of the population with various medical needs, including almost eight million people with a disability.
So, common questions are:
- Will Medicare pay for a wheelchair van?
- Will Medicare pay for vans used for disabled people?
- Will Medicare cover wheelchair accessible van purchases?
As a rule of thumb, it’s uncommon for Medicare to pay for used vans for disabled people. But there are some circumstances where it could be considered 'necessary.'
It's a bit complicated, and in short, there’s no simple, straightforward answer.
What’s Classed as ‘Medically Necessary’ to Purchase Used Vans for Disabled Persons?
According to the Medicare.gov website, medical insurance coverage for things like used vans for disabled people is granted based on what's deemed 'medically necessary.'
What falls under the category of ‘medically necessary’ is monitored by strict rules; Medicare Part B goes into detail about this.
So, you may be thinking, what circumstances would Medicare Part B cover a used van for disabled people?
The main thing to consider is - only your doctors can prescribe medical equipment, such as a used van, unfortunately a used wheelchair van does not fall into this category.
'Necessary' medical equipment has to meet the below criterion:
- Durable (you can use the equipment repeatedly).
- Needs to be used for a medical reason.
- Benefits someone who is sick or injured (does not usually benefit someone generally).
- Used at home
- Has a lifespan of 3 years at a minimum
Are you still struggling with mobility? Are you not deemed "medically necessary?" If so, you're probably thinking, what's the solution?
While it's highly unlikely for Medicare to cover used vans for disabled people financially, there are other options to make this situation more affordable and available.
In almost every state, you'll find nonprofit organizations that provide grant programs to provide equipment for disabled people, such as used vans.
Some of the more notable nonprofits include:
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- The Paralyzed Veterans Association
- National Multiple Sclerosis Association
Disabled people could be eligible for these grants if they meet specific criteria.
You might be able to purchase a used van via state or county grants. Contact your local government office today to see whether any grants are currently, or will become, available.
Want to Learn More?
We hope you now have a better idea of whether Medicare will cover your purchase of used vans for disabled persons.
For more info on the topic, contact us today. We pride ourselves on forming practical solutions for those with mobility difficulties.
- 3D Handicap Parking Spaces
- 3 Required Features of ADA Compliant Restrooms
- 4 Things to Remember During Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month
- 5 Ideas to Celebrate the UN International Day of the Disabled Person
- 7 of the Best Wheelchair Accessible Colleges
- 7 Ways to Ease Anxiety in Schools
- ADA Compliance in Schools & Education
- ADA Parking Requirements
- ADA vs. Section 504
- A Disabled American's Guide to Handicap Parking Rules