Whether you already have an RV and have recently experienced a decrease in mobility or you are saving to purchase an accessible RV, here are some things you’ll need to consider for accessible RV travel.
There are four different types of RVs, but Class B and Class C models are generally the best recommendation for modification.
You may ask: “Do I really need to convert my RV to be accessible? Isn’t there enough space already?” Possibly, but there are some important things to consider. For example:
Wheelchair Accessible RV Entry Area
- Entryways in an RV typically range from 24”-28”. This will not be large enough to equip a wheelchair lift. However, you can get a larger doorway installed by your RV dealer.
- There are two available models of lifts compatible with accessible motor coaches – the NCL954IB3454-2 Dual Post Lift (Century 2 Lift) and the NUVL855R (Under Vehicle Lift).
- Wheelchair lifts can be installed at a mobility dealer close to you.
Storage Height of Handicap RV
- Some cabinets, especially in the kitchen area, may be difficult to reach and store appliances. If you have a companion who could help, this shouldn’t be a problem. However, if you are travelling alone or wish to be fully independent, you’ll need to make sure there’s plenty of lower storage for an easy reach.
- You’ll need to consider adding grab bars to areas such as sinks, toilets, and showers.
Handicap Accessible RV Bathroom
- Due to the compact nature of RVs, it’s often challenging to maneuver a wheelchair close enough to the shower to transfer to a shower chair. Additionally, there might be a glass shower door instead of just a curtain. Make sure to properly check and test a shower before purchase. Remember, your RV dealer can help with expanding doorways and walls to make this room more accessible.
If you are looking to purchase an accessible RV, look no further than GoRVing.com. Search by RV Type to see the manufacturers who offer custom handicap accessible RV models.
Ready to hit the open road? Check out some of these other articles for travel tips and destination possibilities!